Saturday, February 11, 2006

A Refreshing Voice in a Time of Ragged Ways

I have been involved in the political process as a volunteer, candidate, campaign staff member, public servant, and party officer for almost ten years. In that time, I have seen candidates of all stripes singing to the masses why they are the best person for a particular office. After ten years, and numerous meetings, candidate nights, etc., one can question the motives of politicians.

As a high school history teacher, it is interesting to see the idealism of my students as we discuss past events and the current state of the world. I often smile when a student gives an answer reminiscent of the Young Blue Dog when I was the same age. It is during these discussions that I am reminded of why I was attracted to the political process at such a young age. I believed I could change the world and politics is for dreamers who long for a better society.

Many of my blog postings have dealt with the negative affects of politicians who abuse the trust given to them by their constituents. The current scandals in Washington and Raleigh are prime examples.

My father often says to me, "If you're not part of the sollution get the hell out of the way because you're part of the problem." I wonder if insiders in the political process are so blind to the candidates our parties select to represent them they forget about the responsibility of questioning the office seeker beyond his/her standard political stump speech. In the past I have been guilty of accepting the stump speech and being "part of the problem."

Last evening, I met a candidate who I feel can make a difference in this time of ragged ideas. Ty Harrell is running for State Representative in North Carolina's 41st District. Ty Harrell has a remarkable personality and a genuine devotion to the people he will represent. He is a refreshing voice and I believe he can make a difference in reforming our state government, making it more responsive to the needs of all Carolinians.

His opponent in the Democratic primary is Chris Mintz. I have never met Chris Mintz, but I question his motives in this race. Chris switched from the Republican to Democratic party at the end of 2005. He now is challenging Ty for the Democratic nomination.

Is Chris a true Democrat who saw the light, or is Chris another opportunistic politician who believes his chances of winning improve as a member of the party of Andrew Jackson? I have had experiences with party switchers before (Judge Tim Cardwell of Huron County comes to mind). He is not a good man and I am ashamed to say I liked him at one time in my life. Party switchers sicken me and I do not trust them.

I urge readers of my blog to view Ty's website and join with him in his campaign for State Representative. I am going to be part of the sollution and do all I can to elect Ty in 2006.

Have a great weekend!
http://www.votetyharrell.com/index.cfm

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris Mintz is a wolf in sheeps clothing

06-28-2005 Chris Mintz Graduates From N.C. Institute of Political Leadership
http://carolinanewswire.com/news/News.cgi?command=viewone&id=5066&database=headlines%2edb

April 2005 becomes President of the GOP Mens Club in NC

http://carolinanewswire.com/news/News.cgi?command=viewone&id=4104&database=headlines%2edb

June 30 2005 tells the N&Observer that he would run for the State House as a Republican if Representative Russell Capps decides to step down. (Frank Williams states this in his bonehead of the year article but I can’t find a link to the N&O article)

Nov 1st Chris lines up John Rustin from the Conservative NC Family Policy Council to speak at the November meeting of the Men’s Club (Chris’ last meeting as Chairman).

November 5, 2005 email to the Wake County Republican Men’s Club in which Chris announced that he was not seeking re-election as Chairman, he said “I look forward to seeing you all at our coming meetings as I will continue to be a faithful member of the club.”

Dec 4th Resigns as President of the GOP Mens Club

Dec 5th Exactly one month after his e-mail promising “to be a faithful member of the GOP mens club”, an article in The News & Observer (12/5/2005) stated that Russell Capps “has indicated he will likely seek another term to the 41st District seat that includes northwestern Wake County.” Not coincidentally, this is the same article in which Chris announced his decision to defect from the Republican Party and become a Democrat.

Tells the News and observer that “he decided to leave the Republican Party because he thinks it is too focused on social issues rather than on economic issues.”

http://www.newsobserver.com/659/story/374411.html

Dec 5th He announces he is going to run as a Democrat against Ty Harrell in the 41st district rather than challenge Republican Neal hunt in the 15th for which the Dems presently have no candidate, and the 15th district is his home district!

Organizes with the State Board of Elections on Jan 10th 2006

Jan 18 Press release where he claims:

“it is very humbling to have the support of theses

community leaders, with their help we have accumulated over $100,000 for our

campaign."

http://www.chrismintz.com/docs/PR-2.pdf

Jan 19th the next day he loaned himself $100,000 with zero % interest.

http://www.sboe.state.nc.us/cf_pdf/2006/20060203_45337.pdf

Jan 31st he had on record with the BOE $100,750 from 3 people, himself and 2 prominent Democrat real estate developers.

Real estate developers backing CM and encouraging him to run as a dem:

Smedes York (no record of contributions on file)

Roddy Jones (no record of contributions on file)

Lou Mitchel
$250 on Jan 18
http://www.app2.sboe.state.nc.us/index_cfrs.html

Shields Pittman
$500 on Jan 19, 2005
http://www.app2.sboe.state.nc.us/index_cfrs.html

The treasurer CHRISTOPHER WILLIAM DUFFUS is a registered republican:
http://msweb03.co.wake.nc.us/bordelec/Waves/WavesVoterRecord.asp?voter_reg_num=000010201259
Duffus is a partner at Koonce Wooten & Haywood, LLP and has a pretty good resume - including a CPA, certified fraud examiner and a concentration in work with non-profits. Graduate of ECU, Kiwanis member, financial guy at Asbury Methodist.
link on Duffus:
http://www.kwhcpa.com/partners.html

12:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I recently met Chris Mintz and I believe him to be an honorable man with honorable intentions. As a lifelong yellow dog Democrat, I am not scared of this former Republican. Rather, I appreciate his courage and I am glad that our party is big enough for anyone that wants to be included. You guys are missing the point here. When the former Wake Co GOP Men's Club chair becomes a Dem, it is a sign of some serious fractions among the GOP. We should be concentrating on that and how to capitalize on it for our own benefit rather than wasting time researching ad naseum Mintz's campaign report and who his treasurer might be. Let's all use our talents to be productive rather than destructive.

2:08 AM  
Blogger BlueDog Democrat said...

As the moderator of this blog, I welcome all comments. I believe the Democratic Party is large enough to have all types of opinion (i.e. I am of the more conservative persuasion). I do not have issue with Republicans joining our party, but I have serious issues with individuals who switch parties and immediately run for office. It seems very shady and makes one wonder what alterior motives the candidate has.

As for fractures within the NC Republican Party, I do not perclaim to be an expert on the happenings there. I know very few Republican insiders in North Carolina. Yellowdog can attempt to spin Mr. Mintz's party switch, but I feel the explination has no credibility. I am suspicious of an individual who seems to want power so much he is willing to abandon the party in which he had a major leadership post.

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Chris really wanted to rally to the Democratic party, support it's platform, and pull with the team why didn't he run against Hunt in the 15th district (his own home district) when the Dems had no one there and Jerry asked him to? This guy has been wanting Capps seat for quite some time and was willing to do whatever it takes to get it.....I think those kind of qualities help make the worst kind of politician.

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home