Saturday, June 24, 2006

God and Politics: Ohio Style

It was bound to happen, God being mixed into the gubenatorial race in the Buckeye state of Ohio. In a speech this week, Republican nominee J. Kenneth Blackwell, made comments regarding the Democratic Party and religion. In the speech, Blackwell stated, ``Democrats still believe that government is God, and God is not.'' This language is unacceptable and I hope that the people of Ohio reject such talk at the ballot box in November.

Before I was involved in politics, I was a churchgoer. My Catholic faith was instilled to me by my family and I rarely use it for political purposes. I am tired of the Republican Party using religion as a vote mechanism and painting Democrats as a Godless group of people.

I ask Republican Party officials a few simple questions and hope they will refference their Bibles for the answers:

1. Is it moral to allow 1 of 5 children to live in poverty?
2. Is it moral to live in the richest nation in the world and have people go without healthcare?
3. Is it moral to pollute the environment and ruin the planet that GOD created for his children?
4. Is it moral to spend the country into debt beyond repair and pass it along to the next generation of leaders?
5. Is it moral to Judge another's beliefs without examining one's own beliefs?
6. Is it moral to discriminate because of a person's race, color, sex, or sexual orientation?

Reading articles about politicians who use religion against my party makes my blood boil. I have met thousands of Democrats who are churchgoing. They are wonderful people living the life God has planned for them.

In a previous post, I referenced a political candidate from North Carolina, Vernon Robinson. Ken Blackwell and Vernon Robinson are two of a kind. They claim to love America, but truly hate the people who call America home. In my christian faith, that is wrong because Jesus teaches us to love each other as Children of God.

I hope we as Democrats can begin to stand up to this Christian bigotry that many candidates on the right use to divide our party and the electorate. It is time to stick our thumbs into the eyes of candidates like Robinson and Blackwell (Old Testament Style!!!) The time to be timid is over. Let's take our gloves off and start punching back.

http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/news/14866814.htm

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Post! I did not realize Ohio was as dominated in religious politics. Democrats do need to make a stronger defense of their faith. The candidate for Governor of Virginia, Tim Kane, a Democrat defended his faith and values the entire election last year and won in a Red State.

Keep doing what you are doing Blue Dog. Your a great voice of common sense to the poltitical debate! I love your site and hope more find it as thoughtful as I do!

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home